- 17-Feb-2017 to 10-Mar-2017 (EST)
- HQ-Communications and Membership
- Lexington, KY, USA
- Full Time
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Short & Long Term Disability, Retirement, Paid Personal Time, Paid Sick Time, Paid Holidays, Paid Parental Leave
The Council of State Governments (CSG) is the nation's only organization serving all three branches of state government. CSG is a region-based forum that fosters the exchange of insights and ideas to help state officials shape public policy. This offers unparalleled regional, national and international opportunities to network, develop leaders, collaborate and create problem-solving partnerships. To learn more about CSG please visit our website at www.csg.org. We are currently seeking a Communications Manager at our Lexington, KY national headquarters office.
The communications manager serves as the lead coordinator of CSG's Capitol Ideas magazine and CSG's weekly newsletter, The Current State. This position is responsible for managing the editorial process for all CSG publications and projects print, multimedia & web-based. This position also oversees the CSG press line and provides general marketing support for the department.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide oversight for the writing and editing of all CSG content including Capitol Ideas magazine, The Current State e-newsletter, CSG website, association correspondences, talking points, research reports, CSG event coverage and CSG social media outlets.
- Develop magazine page budgets and make story assignments.
- Manage magazine layout, production, printing and mailing.
- Compose original written stories for magazine and newsletter.
- Develop press strategies for all CSG materials and events.
- Coordinate CSG press line and press responses.
- Help ensure consistent branding in all aspects of CSG's work.
- Aid in the development of promotional materials including brochures, videos, postcards, etc.
- Oversee audio/video production & editing of CSG related events, interviews, presentations, webinars etc.
- Manage and coordinate workload for all CSG staff editors.
- Assist the director with developing dissemination strategies and communications activities for policy initiatives, new reports, major events and membership initiatives.
- Create and manage editing timelines and deadlines across multiple departments for all CSG materials.
- Handle special writing and presentation assignments as assigned by the director.
- Help promote visual identity, editing and writing style standards to ensure quality and consistency throughout the organization.
- Conduct interviews with state leaders.
- Compose and distribute strategic press releases.
- Promote content and provide technical assistance for CSG webinar events.
- Assist with the CSG website including updates, area development & design
- Aid in the execution of all membership outreach efforts.
- Provide editing support for all CSG staff members.
- Assist onsite at national conferences.
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent writing, editorial expertise, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage, create & meet deadlines with individuals both inside & outside the organization.
- Working knowledge of state government and public policy issues.
- Ability to independently manage projects.
- Strong leadership qualities.
- Strong story-telling skills in both written & multimedia formats
- Ability to conduct interviews in written & multimedia formats.
- Skilled at handling simultaneous, multiple projects; work flexibly in a team environment and communicate with members of the public in a professional manner.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and in a collaborative style.
- Proven success in utilizing social media tools and technologies to engage key membership groups, customers and constituents.
- Extensive knowledge of writing standards (i.e. AP, Chicago style, etc.) with emphasis on AP style writing guidelines.
- Magazine production and editing experience preferred.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, public relations, public policy or related field.
- Minimum three years' experience writing and editing publications.
- Minimum two years' supervisory experience.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS ESSENTIAL TO PERFORM THE DUTIES OF THE JOB
- Frequently communicates with customers, co-workers, and visitors in person, on the telephone, and on the computer.
- Frequently answers telephone and directs incoming calls.
- Occasionally lifts objects weight up to twenty-five (25) pounds when moving office supplies.
- Some lifting, moving and physical labor required during offsite meetings.
- Some longs days standing/walking during offsite meetings.
- Frequently remains in a sitting position.
- Frequently uses the computer with fingers and hands when typing.
- Frequently works in a well -it, tempered room.
Interested applicants must complete the online application and include resume, cover letter, writing sample and 3 professional references.
CSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer (Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled)