- 07-Feb-2017 to 28-Feb-2017 (EST)
- Lexington, KY, USA
- Full Time
Medical, Dental,Vision, Life, Retirement, Paid Holidays, Paid Sick Time, Paid Personal Time, Paid Parental Leave
The Council of State Governments (CSG) is the nation's only organization serving all three branches of state government. CSG is a region-based forum that fosters the exchange of insights and ideas to help state officials shape public policy. This offers unparalleled regional, national and international opportunities to network, develop leaders, collaborate and create problem-solving partnerships. To learn more about CSG please visit our website at www.csg.org. We are currently seeking a development manager at our Lexington, KY national headquarters office.
The development manager will work to expand and strengthen relationships with corporations, foundations, government entities, and individual donors in order to secure external funding in support of CSG's mission and member priorities. In close coordination with the director of development, the development manager is charged with cultivating new external funders, managing existing relationships and, works one-on-one with CSG policy and leadership development staff to develop new externally funded projects and programming to achieve success for CSG's member driven priorities.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in the development, implementation, execution, and outcomes of CSG's development plan.
- Manage and steward external fund development for a portfolio of organizational and policy programs as determined by the Director of Development.
- Assist in the day-to-day functions and operations of the Development Department.
- Collaborate with policy & research staff in the identification of external funding opportunities to support CSG member priorities.
- Collaborate with leadership development staff in the identification of external funding opportunities to support CSG member priorities.
- In partnership with policy & research department, manage the development of funding proposals including writing, editing, and submission protocols/procedures that advance CSG's member-driven mission.
- Conduct research for potential funding opportunities that advance CSG's member-driven mission and achieve Development Department objectives.
- Serve as a CSG representative at conferences and meetings with current and prospective funders.
- Prepare briefing memos in preparation for funder meetings for the Development Manager, Director of Development, Executive Director/CEO, CSG national officers, or other CSG staff as appropriate.
- Liaise with designated policy program manager to ensure that externally funded projects and programming to ensure funder/underwriter satisfaction including regular communication on progress and satisfaction of reporting requirements.
- Manage projects as part of CSG National meetings, including special events.
- Ensure underwriter satisfaction for onsite funders at CSG events and programs.
- Provide staff support at CSG policy meetings and academies.
- Prepare and make presentations to policymakers, funders, other national organizations.
- Assist in the creation of moves management reports for CSG principals and staff.
- Conduct relationship management with state officials and policymakers including legislative and other governmental contacts in all 50 states, D.C. and the U.S. Territories.
- Participate actively in staff discussions and strategic planning meetings, assist with other project or program tasks and perform other organizational duties as assigned.
- Develop and expand a knowledge base on effective development practices including grant and proposal writing, effective fundraising strategies, promotion/marketing writing, and social interaction and professional presentation skills.
- Liaise with administrative staff to execute mailings, donor recognition, and acknowledgement letters.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of state and federal policy issues and an understanding of state and federal policy development processes.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and competence to work effectively with a myriad of local, state and federal officials, including high level executive, legislative and judicial leaders as well as multiple internal departments and external stakeholders including funders.
- Ability to work with leading experts in the field of state policy including researchers, policy experts, program providers and private sector representatives.
- Strong research skills including internet research and personal interviews.
- Strong writing skills including grant and RFP writing as well as more general writing such as correspondence, memos and articles.
- Superior organizational skills and judgment, with the ability to independently manage multiple priorities while maintaining attention to detail and meeting established deadlines.
- Able to maintain confidentiality and handle politically sensitive work.
- Self-motivated, able to take initiative and see complex tasks through to completion.
- Ability to work collaboratively with multiple internal and external partners.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in political science, journalism, communications, public administration or related field
- A minimum of 5 years' experience in development.
- Experience in public policy or government service preferable.
- Established track record securing charitable gifts from corporate or philanthropic foundations.
- Experience navigating federal agencies and grant cycle systems.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS ESSENTIAL TO PERFORM THE DUTIES OF THE JOB
- Frequently communicates with both public and private-sector members, partners, sponsors, vendors, and visitors in person, via telecommunications or electronically.
- Frequently answers telephone.
- Occasionally transports objects weighing up to twenty-five (25) pounds when moving office supplies.
- Frequently remains in stationary position.
- Periodic business travel including travel by motor vehicle and/or airplane.
- Frequently operates a computer.
Interested applicants must complete the online application and include resume, cover letter, writing sample and 3 professional references.
CSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer (Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled)